If you are unable to visit the Society in person, you can request that our librarian research on your behalf. Due to the increased volume of requests we receive in historical Salem County, heightened interest in genealogy, and few staff, we must limit our research. Therefore, the requests that we will handle are limited to one individual, one name. There is also a two hour research limit.
We will research the following only:
Federal census 1830 – 1930
Will Index 1670 – 1900 (Wills prior to 1804 are at NJ State Archives. Wills after 1804 are at the courthouse across the street.)
Marriage & Death Index of SCHS
Cushing & Sheppard County History 1883
Published family history
Our Research Fees are as follows:
$40.00 for EACH hour of research for non-members [$20/hr for members]
To Make a Request:
1. Fill out the form below. Be as detailed as possible in you request. Please provide the name of the individual you are searching for, significant dates associated with them (birth, marriage, death), and their residence (if known):
2. You will receive an an email response from our librarian or volunteer researcher with an estimated cost.
3. Reply with your authorization to initiate a search and send payment for at least one hour of work.
Once Research is Complete:
1. You will receive an invoice for the remainder of the research fee (if applicable).
2. As soon as we receive payment, we will forward your information via email or U.S. mail depending on your preference. Please note: It may take up to two weeks to receive a response to your request.